5 Tips for a Smooth Move

Posted by yanti on Monday, May 19, 2014


The last time I moved, I was in undergrad and I moved my things out of my room at my parents� house into a tiny studio apartment. I was mostly able to fit everything into my Honda Accord and it took one trip with a truck to move my bed. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!  

That was like, years ago. So, when I was planning for this move, I thought back on it and estimated about the same time/work commitments. Let me just tell you now that I definitely, definitely, definitely underestimated how crazy moving an entire house is!

We officially �moved in� to our new place last Monday! All in all, it�s been an awesome (but time consuming) adventure and I�ve definitely been keeping notes of things that I liked/didn�t like about how we did it. So whether you�re moving across town or across country soon, here are some ways to keep some order (and sanity) during your move! 

-


Start Purging Early
You really cannot start paring down your things soon enough. We knew this move was coming for about a year, so I gave full trash bags of things away monthly. And you know what? I still felt like I had too much stuff! This is the perfect time to get rid of clothes you never wear, decor that you�re tired of, or things you never liked to begin with!

-

Create a Moving Planner
I found one that I absolutely loved on Michelle Lea Designs! She creates beautiful printables PLUS she�s a military wife, so she�s moved multiple times! Her checklist contains literally every single thing you could possibly need to do. It also divides things by a timeline which was my favorite thing about it! Print it out, cross out the things that don�t apply to you, and write your date deadlines next to each heading!

-



Play Around with Decor 
Luckily, before our move, we had already seen our new space in person. As soon as we left the new place for the first time, I grabbed a piece of paper and created a quick floor plan of it. Then I drew in where I envisioned everything going. When I got home, I arranged furniture, lamps, etc. how I wanted them to look in the new place and photographed them. This way, when I started to unpack things, I already knew where almost everything was going! 

-


Label Every Single Thing
We kind of had a 2-step process with our labels. We got the ones that people use for yard sales that come in 3-color packs and created a color-coding system: Green for �Take to New Home�, Pink for �Donate�, and Orange for �Storage�. Then we literally stuck one on every item in our home! Once I knew where things would be going, I wrote on the labels: �bedroom", "dining", �living�, etc. This made packing an absolute breeze!

-



Pack by Room
Finally, (I know some people say to pack things by their size but) I would really suggest packing by room! This way, you just need to label the bin/box according to its room and drop it off there during the move! It also makes it way easier to unpack the things and decorate once you�ve arrived! Finding homes for things this way was SO simple! Also, this way you can prioritize which rooms you�ll need to set up immediately and which ones can wait. 

-

Those are the top things that have helped me stay organized during our moving process! :)

Are you moving over the summer? Or have you recently moved? If so, Where?! And what advice do you have for others? 

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment