Easter Basket Cupcakes - total time 1 hour

Posted by yanti on Tuesday, April 15, 2014


I think Mother Nature is trying to teach us a lesson... enjoy the sunny and 80 degree days because the next day there could be an inch of snow on the ground! Oh my poor daffodils. :( What can you do...

Since it is cold outside again, might as well whip up some Easter treats from scratch! My grandma used to make the best yellow cake and chocolate frosting ever! She would make it when the whole family was coming over for a holiday dinner; Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas... and once in a while throughout the summer when my sister and I were over at her house during summer break. To this day, it is the only cake I would ever get seconds of (unless you count cookie cake as a cake... and then that throws the whole idea out the window). I can't quite remember what made her cake so special, I just remember really enjoying it.

My husband's favorite cake, as it turns out, is also yellow cake with chocolate frosting. So I thought I would give it a go making yellow cake from scratch. Turns out, it is egg yoke (not butter, like I originally thought) that makes yellow cake yellow (unless its a box mix, in which case there is probably some food coloring that makes it extra yellow). He said these are the best cupcakes yet... and I've made so pretty darn good cupcakes (according to other people, of course... case 1, 2, and 3)

I had the idea of these chocolate shavings Easter baskets last year (because I don't like coconut) and it just didn't work out. I used a vegetable peeler, which made the shavings too wide. Then I used a grater and the chocolate melted in my hands. This year I used my handy parmesan grater and it worked out nicely. Knowing most people don't have room in their kitchen for an extra gadget (and a parmesan grater is definitely not a necessity), you could use parchment paper around the chocolate and take breaks to toss the chocolate in the freezer to prevent a melty mess. Or you could use chocolate sprinkles and avoid the complication altogether!

Read more �

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment